Sunday 22 May 2011

Make-up & Beauty The Art of Makeup: Introduction to Make-up




Fact: “A lot of people are oblivious to the fact that Making-up is a type of art”. Just like a Picasso masterpiece, so is the art of making up a face canvas to great standards. My description of a well made-up face is ‘A better-looking version of one’s self’.
As this is the first column, I would be covering a topic called Introduction to Make-up.
I have met a lot of girls, who believe their makeup skills are a ten, then I fill them in on the technical aspects involved in the application and guess what, they all go blank. Recently I had a girl say; ‘OMG, what have I been doing all this while’. She couldn’t get over the fact that she was going around thinking she’d mastered the art of makeup.
Skin-Prepping is a sub-heading under this topic, and here I would give you a three step guide on Skin-Prepping. In English terms/definition; this means ‘The Preparation of the skin before make-up”.
No matter how fantastic, expensive or HD your eye-shadow, foundation, lipstick and so on is, you need a smooth canvas in order to archive a flawless application. There are so many systems many and more gurus have put together but I am delighted to put pen to paper on this crucial topic.
Remember: These are not forced rules, but very popular step by step guides that have worked for me and also for people I have worked with.

Step 1
Exfoliation: this is a step that a lot of people skip. Not only does it give the skin a flawless glow, it unclogs the pores, prevents flakiness, rejuvenates the skin and most importantly, removes dead skin cells.
Recommendation: Dead Sea Salt Scrub can be found anywhere as there are lots and lots of brands producing these.


Step 2
Moisturizer/Sunscreen: I have to ask one rhetorical question; ‘How do people apply foundation on an un-moisturized face?’ My point is that it just doesn’t go on smoothly. Most of us, especially those of us living in a hot country, are exposed to a lot of sun. This is a primary cause of skin cancer and premature aging of the skin. To prevent this, always apply sunscreen.
However, I have discovered that sunscreen leaves the skin very oily on us girls with oil or combination-to-oily skin type. A great option to this is a foundation with SPF (Sun Protection factor).

Step 3 (Optional)
Foundation Primer: This is what your foundation holds on to. This is especially great for people with oily skin as our foundation tends to rub off quicker.
Those are my three easy steps (summarized) and I hope I have helped someone. Look out for the next article, promise to enlighten you on a very grand makeup secret that’s got everyone asking; ‘How does your eye-shadow pop and stay on for so long’ and always remember to check my beauty tips, which will be updated on every edition.
Until next time, stay FABULOUS!

Anita’s Beauty Tips: Remember to always moisturize the lips with balm or Vaseline before lipstick/lip-gloss application.

2 comments: